I always said to myself I would never want to be super famous.
I make music as a passion and a hobby, anything that comes from that is just an added bonus. To be signed to a multi-million record deal and have your face in the limelight 24/7 is unappealing to me for the following reasons.
Money and Creativity.
- Having to meet deadlines and create music as a job would be the worse. Your creative mind would be stripped as you would have to create music to satisfy the current “trends” rather than just the music you want to make.
- No job security. Your record company could just get rid of you at the drop of a hat and you would be scraping around just to find work just to carry on paying bills. If it doesn’t work you’d more than likely have to go back to a normal job.
Day to Day Life.
- Constantly having your life in the limelight and mainstream media. If you do things right nothing is said, however if you do the smallest thing wrong they will leech from that and it could be career ending. You are constantly have to watch how your public image is perceived and not have freedom of speech in fear of repercussions.
- Most of the money you earn to create your art is taken away from the suits at record companies, so unless you are raking in the sales, a huge percentage of your earnings will be taken from you alongside tax.
- You can’t just go out out in public anymore. People will recognise you and hassle you while you are trying to go about your day to day business. I can see why celebrities do snap from time to time. I personally wouldn’t want paparazzi hanging outside my house 24/7 waiting for just that measly shot of me wearing a stained pyjama top.
So those are my main reasons for never wanting to be in the limelight. I prefer being underground and able to create the music I want. Yes, I earn a little from streaming services but nothing to make me quit my full time regular job. Any money I earn now will go straight into my new daughter’s saving account.
For what reason would you not not want to be famous? Or, if you do want to be in the limelight, why?